Friday, June 12, 2009

Year Ago Flashback: June 12, 2008

A year ago today:

I was greeted first thing in the morning by the OB who came in to check on me. Nothing at that point had really changed but as the day went along, things got more promising. My blood pressure, originally 147/90 continued to drop throughout the day. The swelling in my feet and ankles also went down significantly, and my urine sample didn't show any protein. I felt like I was having some mild contractions throughout the day (also perfectly normal considering my uterus is larger than someone carrying one baby to term) but they were not able to be found on the contractions monitor, so more good news! I also had my second steroid shot to help the lungs of the babies develop. By dinner time, I was feeling much better about the current situation. Around that time, my perinatologist (high risk doctor) came to see me. As soon as he walked into the door and saw me, he said, "You aren't supposed to be here yet!" since each of my bi-monthly visits at his office has been excellent. He as well as the sono techs there were always commenting on my "cervix of steel" and my "Fort Knox cervix." He also told me that my body was made to carry triplets...I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not but I'll take it...as long as he is not implying that I'll be carrying another set of triplets in this lifetime! Anyhow, he scanned the babies via ultrasound and all were moving around and had good heartbeats, fluid, and positioning. He also reviewed with me all of my lab work and monitoring from the past 24 hours and told me that he didn't think I had pre-eclampsia. Yay! This was such good news considering pre-eclampsia can turn into eclampsia, which causes seizures and strokes in the mother and can only be treated by delivering the babies. I continued to have a positive outlook throughout the day and was even prescribed Ambien to help me sleep...and like the commercials advertise, it worked like a dream!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

It's been flashbacks for me too with my twins- but much more than just a year has passed! I'm so impressed you were able to carry them so long- I only made it to 29 weeks and that was just twins.

You absolutely have a 'cervix of steel'. I will also hope you don't ever need to use it again for triplets!

April said...

Wow, I love reading all about the before:0) Its hard to believe that in a few short days my nieces and Nephew will be a year old!!!!