Sunday, March 15, 2009

Meet Baby B: Jamison

PREFACE: Here is a very overdue spotlight on my sweet boy, Jamison. As you can see from the label on the sonogram photo below, he was originally slated "Baby C" but played a little game of switcheroo with sister in the last couple of months of my pregnancy, ending up as "Baby B" instead.

Jamison with his hands by his face. This was the case in practically all of his sonogram pictures and he still loves to suck his arm.

Jamison Paul

Born on 6/18/08

At 8:28 pm


4 lbs. 3.5 oz, 17 in.

APGAR scores: 7/8


Our second born had a rough go at it the first few days of life. I did not even get a chance to see him up close after the birth because he got whisked away for observation. He was having a hard time opening up his lungs so they immediately put him on positive air flow (CPAP) to help him out. When I saw him for the first time in the NICU, he had all kinds of wires and tubes hooked up to him and he was whimpering like a little puppy. My heart just ached for him. You could tell he was just miserable!


After two days, he was able to come off the CPAP and gradually, he became more comfortable but never less noisy! One of the NICU nurses even commented to us that she never got lonely on her night shift because Jamison would always be talking to her! We noticed a significant change in his demeanor once he had the opportunity to nurse and was a pro right from the start.

Jamison came home to join his sister, Krista, after 24 days in the NICU. His other sister, Kiera, got to join him. Jamison was actually slated to come home with Krista the day before but since he had been circumcised that day, they thought it would be prudent to keep him in the NICU in case he was uncomfortable so that we could concentrate on adjusting to one baby at home rather than two.



Like his sister, Krista, Jamison also had some reflux issues early on but not nearly as severe. He also came home on a monitor but had the fewest bouts of apnea and bradycardia. When he would sleep, we would hear him purring like a kitten through the baby monitor. This sound brought music to our ears because it meant that he was content and happy, unlike the first few traumatic days of his life. Early on, Jamison showed up his sisters in the eating department. We could always count on him to finish his bottle first. This also helped him to remain the heaviest baby for several months until Krista took over the title.



Jamison has always been a mama’s boy, frustrating his daddy at times, especially when Mr. J would turn his head away. He is the biggest cuddle bug of the three babies. We thought it was hysterical when he would stand up on us and move his hips around like he was hula hooping My husband would say his movements reminded him of Jack Sparrow’s swagger in Pirates of the Carribean. This is funny because many people see Eric’s mannerisms in Jamison’s movements, especially the use of his hands. He also looks a heck of a lot like his daddy, there is no denying it!


He has impeccable posture, always sitting very upright, regardless of his location. His hair has progressively gotten lighter but it has always been silky smooth so Eric would call him “Velveteen Rabbit.” Out of all three babies, Jamison loves the play mat the best. He is notorious for taking one of the hanging rattles and banging it aggressively into Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. I have always thought this was funny because I despise Winnie the Pooh so this action has been a “That’s my boy!” moment. Although Jamison is a very jolly boy with a great personality, he is easily frightened and startled by sounds. I swear he is deathly afraid of the mixer! I hope this is something he will outgrow in the near future.



My heart is warmed every time he flashes that adorable grin, gives a hearty laugh or a high-pitched squeal. He has since regained his title as the biggest baby. He loves eating solid food, opening his mouth widely and sometimes growing impatient because we can’t shovel it in fast enough for his taste. He is a ball of energy and it will be interesting to see how he uses it once he becomes more mobile. I am so grateful that I have this beautiful boy. Eric reminds me that pre-kids, I had always said that I wanted a girl but I can’t imagine my life without this sweet and special guy.

7 comments:

Roxane said...

Oh my goodness! He is wayyy too cute. I love the picture of him in the stripped shirt :)

DiPaola Momma said...

What a sweet little Wee one! Your own little MAN:0) Think his sisters will be over protective much? ha ha

Toni said...

what a sweet baby:-) he's very cute, watch out ladies:-)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Jaimie! It's so nice to meet you! What a cutie!!!

Your blog is awesome. I am excited to look around!

XOXO
Jen

Safire said...

Cute cute! Love his personality and his big blue eyes!

PS- If you'd like to drive down for the multiple sale, here's the website with all the info...might be a drive for you as we are in Montgomery county. Let me know if you come...I'd love to met up!

http://www.momville.us/MCPOM/Sale_Home.html

tammy said...

He is a sweet baby! I loved looking at each picture...but my fav. has to be the one of him still in the hospital(I think) and he's sitting on your lap and smiling. How incredibly precious!! :)

April said...

Wow Jaime, All I can say is you need blurb.com (basically it puts all your blogs into a book form and you can get it hardbound. What a treasure! Your little ones are getting so big I can't wait to see them in May!