Thursday, January 1, 2009

Got Formula?


Since we are a family of multiples, we have been receiving a case of formula per baby for three months from the manufacturers of both Enfamil and Similac. Even though these shipments like seen above in the picture only lasts 1.5 weeks out of 4, this has been a great blessing with formula being so expensive, especially for three hungry babies! Unfortunately, we are on our last month of formula and will have quite the challenge finding money to pay for all of this liquid gold!

We were excited the other day to find someone on Craigslist in our own town selling 16 small cans of Similac Sensitive (the drink of choice for Jamison and Kiera) for $100 so that's only $6.25 a can - over half off what you can buy it for at the store, on Ebay, etc. Hopefully we can find some similar deals in the weeks and months to come.

The formula companies have been sending us formula checks and coupons periodically, which helps out some but we could always use more so this is where we enlist your help! Anyone within the sound of my voice or in view of my blog post, if you have access to any of these formula coupons or checks that you do not need, please send them our way! With my income being cut a few months ago to become a SAHM, Eric's new health insurance for '09 costing triple what we were paying in 2008, in addition to other baby expenses, we can use all the help we can get. If you are in a position to help us, please leave us a comment!

18 comments:

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

I hear ya on the formula and the high cost of health insurance. Not to mention evey time you take the little ones in for a regular checkup the cost of each appointment for the many first year appointments is triple! You can also see if there is a Freecycle group in your area. The premise of the group is all things have to be given for free in order to prevent more stuff in land fills. Here is a link to my local one. I've scored a ton of good stuff from my group which recently included 8 cans of 12.9 oz formula and 6 boxes of cereal.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WakeFreecycle/
There should be a link to see if there is a group in your area. Craigs list also has a free section.

Some Birds said...

Wish you the very best in your search!

Wendy said...

Your blog (and life) are great! I can see why you were featured on SITS. I hear you on the formula!!! I have 3 kids but got to do it over a longer timeline so I did not have to stockpile it like you do. But I can relate. Love your blog and I will re-viSITS you soon!

Megan said...

I am in the same boat! It sucks! I am doing some digging and trying to find some anywhere I can! Good Luck!

Mama H said...

That's great that the formula companies send you free formula! We struggled to feed one kid, much less three! I'd love to help out if I can... let me know by emailing me, okay? I can't even imagine how much $$ you must spend on formula each month... yowzers!

losing my needles said...

I agree with the checking out freecycle thing. I see checks on there all the time. I always bought my formula from Costco though, so the coupons never helped me. I was lucky in that both of my boys could eat the costco formula without any problems, and it is so much cheaper than anything else I've ever seen. So much so that I almost considered keeping Graham on formula after his 1st birthday because it was going to be a little cheaper ounce for ounce than milk. Good luck. I'll keep my eye out.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Congrats on being saucy over at SITS. You are amazing for raising three at once!!

Anonymous said...

Formula is expensive! Great deal from Craiglist! I love that site.

Over from SITS! LOVE your blog!!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Good luck with your search... Craigslist is great, and the freecycle thing sounds promising... sometimes local churches will have donated baby formula up for grabs, too - usually advertised in their newsletters.

Over from SITS - glad I found it and you! ;)

Stephanie said...

I know, formula prices are INSANE!! Ask at your pedi. office too. Everytime we went in I would ask and they would give me most of their sample supply. They were awesome about it.
I saw some Enfamil AR in that photo. Are one of your babies on that? I am in Michigan right now but I think I may have a couple of cans at home. I will look when I get back. E-mail me at s_kessler@wowway.com.

A Friendly Reader Only said...

Enjoyed your blog - visiting from SITS - Congrads on being a featured blog. Sorry I can't help with the formula but I sure will keep my eyes & ears open - I will also pray that some doors are opened.

Lesley said...

that is great that the formula companies help...and yeah on finding a great deal....I can't even begin to imagine what it is like for you all with those hungry babies...I wish you much luck...and love...and congrats on your sauciness....

penguinsandladybugs said...

My youngest is just almost 12 and I nursed both of mine (which I can't even imagine doing in triplicate, LOL). I didn't buy much formula for myself. BUT I have purchased it for others and cheap it ain't. I can't imagine having to pay triple. Wish I could help you out!

AndreaLeigh said...

i can't help you on the formula as I don't have kids, but I wish for great bragains for you!

congrats on being a saucy blog!

Aubrey said...

What lovely babies you have!

Wow! Look at that formula! I know how much it put a dent in our budget with one, I can't imagine for 3! I will let you know if I come across anything!

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

I'm not sure if you're in an area that has freepeats, http://www.freepeats.org/
but it's exclusively free baby items that other women are offering, a great resource! Another source for formula deals and sales is babycheapskate, http://www.babycheapskate.blogspot.com/
Also, definitely have your friends and family all sign up with the manufacturers for coupons and samples, if you haven't already.

Best of luck, your babies are darling!

Stephanie said...

I just looked and I do have one can of the Enfamil AR. I am more than willing to send it to you. The exp. date on it is Nov.09. If you would like it let me know. You can e-mail me at s_kessler@wowway.com or you can leave me a comment on my blog.

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm a first time mom-to-be & we're expecting triplets ourselves this Jun'09! I happen to stumble into your blog & first, you have beautiful children! Second, I was wondering how you were able to get formulas from Enfamil and Similac...was it for free?

Any advice you can give from saving money (freebies) to handling newborn triplets would be a life-saver! My email address is scraps804@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!