Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baby Boy has arrived!

Well Baby Boy held out until his scheduled c-section date at 39 weeks. Eric and I headed up the hospital at 8:30am for the big delivery with a surgery time of 10:30am. This is what I looked like upon arrival:


After getting prepped for surgery, it was time to head over to the operating room. Since I had a c-section previously with the triplets, I knew what to expect but was still nervous and just ready to meet our baby! Fortunately, I was able to also have the same doctor who delivered the trio so that helped to put my mind at ease a bit.

As I was laying on the operating table anxiously awaiting the cry of our baby, it was pretty surreal. I remembered the last time I was in the same situation and how life changing that day was and how today was no different. We were bringing another life into this world!

One of the doctors, as his sac was being cut open, exclaimed, "Holy mackerel!" Apparently, there was a huge gush of amniotic fluid, more than the normal amount. Then they got to the baby and as they pulled him out of me, everyone started to say things like "wow" and "he must be 10 pounds!"



I heard him cry for the first time and I was so relieved. He made his arrival at 11:05 am. I was also very curious to find out exactly how big he was since the doctors seemed to think he was huge! The nurses whisked him away to get him cleaned up, assessed, as well as weighed and measured so Eric accompanied him. Any guesses? Watch the video to see!



When they came back, Eric wanted me to guess the baby's weight and I said he just needed to tell me!Now you have to understand, Eric has been joking with me the whole time we've been married that we would have a 10 pound baby. He was 9 pounds, 12 ounces himself at birth and his sister just delivered a 10 pound baby in April. Let's just say I'm glad that I opted for a repeat c-section rather than a VBAC delivery because he weighed in at a whopping 10 pounds, 13.7 ounces with a length of 20.87 inches! Eric was even surprised by his size and thought he'd weigh in between 8-9 pounds. Apparently, not only was the baby big but his placenta was big as well. The doctors also estimated that there was almost 4 liters of amniotic fluid!

People had been asking me throughout my pregnancy, especially in the last trimester, if I was sure I wasn't carrying twins and I would reassure them that there was definitely only one baby in there and that I knew what it was like to carry multiples. The funny thing about his size was that he weighed less than an ounce different from what the triplets weighed at birth combined! No wonder people thought there was more than one baby in there!

They brought him over to me and I got to see him for the first time. He was so big and beautiful!


You're probably wondering what we named him, right? We were wondering that ourselves throughout the entire pregnancy. A list of names that we liked was created pretty early on in the pregnancy but we kept having a stupor of thought on most of them. In the end, we decided to name him Collin Reid. Collin is a good Scottish name and with both Eric and I having Scottish ancestry, we thought it was appropriate. Reid doesn't really have any significance other than the fact that we liked the name and that it has 4 letters in it as both Eric and Jamison have four letter middle names too.


When I finally was able to hold him for the first time, I was just in awe that we created this precious gift! We feel so blessed to have him as a new addition to our family and to share his arrival with all of you.

6 comments:

In Good Company said...

He is so handsome! congrats on your new addition. I can't imagine having four under the age of 2!!! You two are amazing! Good luck with the adjustment.

Samantha said...

I didn't even know you were pregnant!!! Congratulations! How is it having an newborn and the trips as well?

Cynthia said...

Woo Hoo! Congratulations on a successful delivery. He is beautiful. My singleton weighed DOUBLE the combined weight of my twins. Having one full-term BIG baby is So different (and so much easier) than multiples. Enjoy him. No doubt he'll be besiezed by little 'helpers'. God made him a big boy for a reason- he'll need to be a little tougher than the average baby to endure all the helpful 'loves' from the triplets!

Cleverly Triple said...

WOW BIG BABY! That's awesome! I myself was almost 11 pds at birth as well. He is just SO SO SO adorable! You reassure me that i CAN have more kids after the triplets! You make it seem so easy. :)

Amanda said...

I was so excited to read your good news! Congratulations! He is extremely handsome, and I'm glad he is so healthy! Yay!

April said...

I loved reading about your experience, he is such a beautiful baby with all that hair:) you will find that you love big babies--I absolutely love it, and with 3 active siblings he's going to need to hit the ground running!! We are so happy for your little family!