We decided to get there 45 minutes early to get in line. There were already a hundred or more people there queued up upon our arrival. Parking was a nightmare! The lots at the health department are pretty small plus a lot of the spaces were filled by the employees who work there so it was a bit of a nuisance. Fortunately, my mother works at the health department and was able to come out and move her car so I could have her space. Many people had to resort to parking way down the street or double parking on the street! The police ended up coming over to direct traffic because there were so many cars blocking the road.
I got the babies loaded up in the triplet jogging stroller and headed toward the lower parking lot where the line was rapidly growing. I swear all eyes were on us! I just smiled and kept walking. It's so annoying to get attention everywhere we go but I usually just ignore people. There were some people who had nice things to say like "God bless you" and "What beautiful babies!" However, my ultimate favorite compliment of the day was "You're a rock star!" It was amazing to see so many babies in one place. It was definitely Stroller City!
My friend, Liz, and her baby, Raya, rode separately but met up with us in the line. It was nice to have someone to talk to while we waited. The kids were good sitting in the stroller playing with toys and looking around at all the fascinating people! We even brought along our H1N1 mascot, a toy pig! Looking at the picture, it looks more like a pink porcupine but it's really a pink pig. We figured it would be appropriate to have a swine in the swine line to keep us company while waiting. As long as it's not the real deal, right? We also got the company of Nonna, who came down from her office, to stand in line with us. She was happy to show off the babies.
Fortunately, about 15 minutes after we arrived, they started giving the shots early. We waited for about 45 minutes total when we finally made it into the building and to the nurse's station. The babies weren't very excited to get their shots, as was expected! Jamison seemed to be especially offended after his shot. At least Nonna was there to comfort him so Mommy could be with the girls for their turns. Even after all the shots we've been through in the past 1.5 years, it's still hard to see your babies hurt! At least they got a sticker as a consolation prize.
When it was all over, only an hour had passed! I was prepared to wait a lot longer than that so it was a pleasant surprise. Now it will be interesting to see if more vaccine will be available for Dose #2 in mid-December. I hope so but if not, one dose is definitely better than no doses.




8 comments:
that's great that you could get the mercury free one! we still have had no luck finding one for our three :o(
I'm glad you got the needed shots and with less-than-expected hassle. It's been a mess around here too.
Fortunately, Swine Flu has already visited our house and only the husband and I got it. I sure hope the kids don't- especially my twins since they have weaker lungs than my full-term singleton.
ah....goodtimes lol
LOVE LOVE LOVE the swine in line idea! That's my kinda fun!
You are a rock star :)
Things are soooo crazy about the shots. My daughter is 28 months old. She had her regular shot, but is on a waiting list for the h1n1. I go this Wed for my h1n1, but haven't had my regular 1. I'd like her to go 1st, but it's a diff doc office. At least your kids are done with the 1st 1. I gave you an award. Stop by my blog for details. I'm working on it now.
You are definitely a rock star! Terribly efficient, too - all 3 at one time! I wish I could have had multiples, but God gave them to me one at a time! I guess he knew my inability to multi-task on that level!
I love the "swine line" - I'm always rather piggish about word choice - and yours was great!
I miss the days when a tight hug would comfort my sons through their hurts - Enjoy!
Merry Christmas!
We were able to get them in September and then in October, so we got very lucky. We have not had too much of a shortage here, at least not for the little ones. The first round was not fun, I think we waited 45 min. to an hour too. The second one we got right in and right out! It was great! I am not sure if it is true, but I have heard, if you don't get the second shot, the first one is pointless. So if it is true, hopefully you can get the second round!
Mine all had a runny nose and small cough after each shot for about 1.5 weeks, but I have not heard of anyone else experiencing this...so maybe it was just us!
Good luck on the next round!
Thanks to you Pierce and I were in and out in a jiffy!
Post a Comment